The Northern Ireland Prison Service has announced that in-person visits will resume from Monday 31st January 2022. Visits were temporarily suspended after Christmas in response to the Omicron variant.
NI Prison Service Director General, Ronnie Armour said: “Keeping people safe has been our top priority throughout the pandemic. Prisons, like all sections of the community, responded to the threat posed by Omicron by restricting access to our prisons. As that threat recedes we can now take steps to recommence our recovery.
“No-one should underestimate the challenges this pandemic has presented to our staff, partners and indeed those we look after. Our staff have shown they will respond in an appropriate manner when the threat increases, but also when that diminishes.
“Therefore I am pleased to announce that in-person visits, including legal visits, will start again next week.”
The Director General also announced that delivery partners will recommence their support services and prison libraries are to re-open. Packages, including paperback books, will also be accepted on specific days at each prison and on request.
Ronnie Armour continued: “Our partners play a crucial role in supporting rehabilitation and we are again in the position to facilitate and support that work. The opening of our libraries is a further step towards a full and productive day for the people in our care.
“While this is a significant day on our road to recovery, we cannot be complacent. The threat of Covid-19 is real and that is particularly challenging in a prison.
“However we will continue to be proactive in our response to Covid-19 and to relax restrictions when it is safe to do so. The safety of everyone in prison remains our focus.”
Notes to editors:
1. Media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours’ service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted out of hours on 028 9037 8110.
- New Appointments to the Independent Monitoring Board 22 April 2022
- Key messages for legal aid suppliers - March 2022 13 April 2022
- Findings from the 2020/21 Northern Ireland Safe Community Telephone Survey published today 31 March 2022
- Long announces increase to small claims court limit 25 March 2022