The Department of Justice has brought into operation revised Codes of Practice under the Police and Criminal Evidence (Northern Ireland) Order 1989 (PACE).
The PACE codes are an important aspect of the framework of police powers in Northern Ireland. They regulate the exercise of powers by police officers and set down important safeguards and protections to persons who come into contact with the police.
The revised codes, which are the outcome of a review aimed at bringing the codes more up to date with current policing practice and procedures and to ensure compliance with a number of EU Directives. The Codes can be viewed at the publication section.
Notes to editors:
1. The Police and Criminal Evidence (Northern Ireland) Order 1989 (Codes of Practice) Order 2015 brings revised Codes of Practice into force on 1st June 2015.
2. There are currently eight PACE codes of practice:
Code A - the exercise by police officers of statutory powers to stop and search;
Code B - searches of premises by police officers and seizure of property found by police officers on persons or premises;
Code C - the detention, treatment and questioning of persons by police officers;
Code D - the identification of persons by police officers;
Code E - the audio recording of interviews with suspects at police stations;
Code F - the visual recording of interviews with suspects at police stations;
Code G - the statutory power of arrest by police officers; and
Code H - the detention, treatment and questioning of persons under Section 41 of, and Schedule 8 to, the Terrorism Act 2000.
3. For all media queries, please contact the DOJ Press Office on 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- Appointed Person under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 12 August 2019
- Department of Justice secures £200,000 for voluntary search and rescue groups 08 August 2019
- ‘Ending the Harm’ public awareness campaign on so called ‘paramilitary style attacks’ relaunched 05 August 2019
- Maghaberry Prison show garden wins National Trust gold award 02 August 2019