The Department of Justice has launched a recruitment competition to appoint three independent members to the Northern Ireland Policing Board.
The new members will be appointed from 1 April 2024 for terms of up to four years.
The Northern Ireland Policing Board, which includes ten political members and nine independent members, is responsible for ensuring the provision of an effective, efficient, impartial and accountable police service in Northern Ireland, and for holding the Chief Constable to account for the exercise of his functions and those of the police.
Board members are required to commit a minimum of four days per month to Policing Board business and perform a representative role on behalf of the Board at a variety of events. Remuneration is £15k per annum.
The deadline for receipt of applications is 12:00 noon on Thursday, 25 January 2024.
You can find out more information about the role in this interview with Chair of the Northern Ireland Policing Board, Deirdre Toner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfbPydDIaWU and at www.nipolicingboard.org.uk
Notes to editors:
1. Candidate information packs and applications forms are available at NIPB-board members | Department of Justice (justice-ni.gov.uk)
2. Copies are also available as follows:
Telephone: 028 905 26498
NIPB Competition 2024
Department of Justice
Block B, Castle Buildings
BELFAST, BT4 3SG
3.The successful post holders will be expected to commence their terms on 1 April 2024.
4. The time commitment required is a minimum of four days per month including evenings and weekends as required. The remuneration is £15k per annum. Travel and incidental expenses will be reimbursed for costs necessarily incurred on Policing Board business.
5. The Northern Ireland Policing Board takes its powers from the Police (Northern Ireland) Act 2000 as amended by the Police (Northern Ireland) Act 2003 and has 19 members in total: 10 political; and 9 independent members, including a Chair and a Vice Chair appointed by the Board from among the independent members.
6.The procedure for these appointments is compliant with the Commissioner for Public Appointments Northern Ireland Code of Practice.
7. For media enquiries contact the Department of Justice Press Office at email@example.com
8.The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted out of hours on 028 9037 8110.
- Justice Minister Naomi Long is extending the Sexual Offences Legal Advisers pilot scheme until March 2025. 15 February 2024
- Consultation on criminal assets recovery Codes of Practice launched 15 February 2024
- Long welcomes pilot scheme for filming in courts 09 February 2024
- Justice Minister welcomes inspection findings for Maghaberry and Magilligan 08 February 2024