Statistics on the populations of prisons in Northern Ireland including future developments and quality assurance arrangements for source administrative data.
The Northern Ireland Prison Population Bulletin is a National Statistical annual publication. It details key statistics relating to the average daily prison population levels and receptions for Northern Ireland, and includes data by prison establishment, custody type, gender, age, sentence length and principal offence categories. It also includes some international data for comparison purposes.
- R & S Bulletin 26/2018 -The Northern Ireland Prison Population 2017/18
- R & S Bulletin 27/2017 - The Northern Ireland Prison Population 2016 and 2016/17
- R & S Bulletin 24/2016 - The Northern Ireland Prison Population 2015 and 2015/16
- R & S Bulletin 18/2015 - The Northern Ireland prison population 2014 and 2014/15
- R & S Bulletin 15/2014 - The Northern Ireland prison population 2013
- The Northern Ireland prison population: receptions 2009-2012
- R & S Bulletin 6/2013 - The Northern Ireland average prison population in 2012
- R & S Bulletin 2/2010 - the Northern Ireland prison population in 2009
Quality assurance arrangements for source administrative data
An outline of the dependencies on and data quality assurance procedures for administrative data used in production of Northern Ireland Prison Statistics publications is given below.
Two consultations have been carried out in recent years regarding the structure of the prison population publications.
The first was carried out in late 2013 and early 2014 and involved a series of detailed consultation exercises of know and potential users of prison statistics to identify the preferred longer-term structure and format of publications. In addition to online survey input conducted across Northern Ireland, the views of selected British, Irish and European statistical colleagues and academics were also sought. The outcome of the online survey conducted is available below:
Following this consultation, various changes were made to the format of the publication to improve the quality and better meet user needs, such as making data available in excel, publication of infographics and including a more detailed analysis/explanation of trends.
One of the questions in this consultation was “Which of the models for presenting data would best suit your needs?” The options were either calendar or financial year. The provision of figures on a financial basis was requested by a substantial proportion of respondents. Following on from this the next three annual reports included data for both financial and calendar year. As it was always the intention to look at this again a further consultation was carried out of known users, academics and interested parties, during April/May 2018 regarding proposed changes to the reporting periods in the publications. The results of this survey can be found using the link below:
If you would like to comment on or have any enquiries about the contents of our publications or research and statistics produced, receive notification of new publications or be kept informed of developments relating to Department of Justice statistics, please contact us
- Feedback/comments on the research and statistical bulletins or services provided by Analytical Services Group can also be given by completing a short survey(external link opens in a new window / tab)