Youth Justice Agency staff from across Northern Ireland will today be swopping their desk-jobs to get the cash registers ringing for the 2017 Action Cancer Shops’ Challenge.
This annual event by the local cancer charity will see Youth Justice Agency staff from Belfast, Londonderry, Cookstown, Enniskillen and Bangor behind the counter of their local Action Cancer shops in a major fund-raising effort.
The Youth Justice Agency staff will put their entrepreneurial skills to the test by taking over the running of shops across Northern Ireland for the day, whilst also competing against other teams to promote, manage and increase the sales in each shop.
Various fun promotions and activities have been arranged at each of the seven stores, with many of the staff donning fancy dress. Celebrity sports’ stars will also participate including former WBA super-middleweight world champion boxer Brian Magee, Armagh’s All-Ireland GAA footballer Steven McDonnell, and former Derry City FC player and Assistant Manager, Donal O’Brien, who will be having his legs waxed.
Youth Justice Agency Chief Executive, Declan McGeown said: “Our staff teams are very much a part of the local community and work on a daily basis with local people who are impacted by the great work of Action Cancer.
“The Shops’ Challenge is an excellent opportunity for us to support our local communities and raise funds for Action Cancer.”
Katherine Young, Action Cancer’s Retail Development Officer added: “The Shops’ Challenge provides a unique opportunity for Action Cancer Retail to engage with local organisations. Every penny raised during the challenge stays within Northern Ireland to provide free services to local people including; breast screening to women aged 40-49 and 70 plus & complementary therapies and counselling to anyone impacted by cancer. We are delighted at the level of commitment from the Youth Justice Agency Teams and we hope that local people will come out in force on 14th September and support their local Action Cancer shop.”
Check out the Youtube video at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCalu5nfUYd8Oe8ZsWRzMiRA
Notes to editors:
1. The Youth Justice Agency aims to make communities safer by helping children to stop offending. The Agency works with children aged 10-17 years who have offended or are at serious risk of offending and provides a range of services, often delivered in partnership with others, to help children to address their offending behaviour, divert them from crime, assist their integration into the community and to meet the needs of victims of crime.
2. Youth Justice Agency staff will take over the running of 7 Action Cancer Charity shops across Northern Ireland in the 2017 Action Cancer Shops’ Challenge:
BELFAST: Andersonstown Road. Events and activities include: Celebrity visitors to the store including former WBA super-middleweight world champion boxer Brian Magee and Armagh’s All-Ireland GAA footballer Steven McDonnell; Magician; Take Your Pick competition; face-painting, glitter tattoos, refreshements and Grand Draw.
LONDONDERRY: James Street. Events and activities include: Pie Throwing at the YJA Management Team!; YJA staff member Gavin Duffy head shave; YJA staff member and former Derry City FC player and Assistant Manager Donal O’Brien, legs wax; face-painting; hair-braiding; Draw for Northern Ireland shirt signed by the team following their recent win over the Czech Republic
COOKSTOWN: James Street. Staff in fancy dress; quiz; refreshments.
ENNISKILLEN: Cross Street. Staff in fancy dress.
BANGOR: Market Street. Staff in fancy dress; tombola; prize raffle
3. Action Cancer work to save lives and support people affected by cancer.
4. The Action Cancer Shops’ Challenge is an annual fundraising event by Northern Ireland’s leading local cancer charity which has been chosen as the Youth Justice Agency’s 2017-18 charity partner.
5. All media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office on 028 9052 6444. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Competition launched for an Independent Chairperson to NI Search and Rescue Practioner Group 13 June 2019
- New Board member appointed to the Northern Ireland Police Fund 10 June 2019
- Department of Justice appoints new Prisoner Ombudsman 09 June 2019
- Review of Hate Crime Legislation launched 06 June 2019