The Department of Justice has appointed Jacqui Durkin as Chief Inspector of Criminal Justice for Northern Ireland.
Her appointment as Chief Inspector will be effective from 30 November 2019.
Criminal Justice Inspection Northern Ireland (CJINI) is uniquely placed to carry out inspection work which spans the criminal justice system. Its cross-cutting, thematic inspections enable CJINI to take a 'whole system' approach with the aim of securing improved performance across the justice system.
Permanent Secretary for the Department of Justice, Peter May, said: “The Chief Inspector is an independent, public voice who seeks to promote public confidence in the criminal justice system and has a major impact on its performance and delivery.
“Jacqui brings to the role a wealth of experience from the public sector and justice system. I look forward to working with her to identify areas where greater collaboration and partnership working will enhance the criminal justice system for the benefit of those who use and engage with it. The appointment was made in accordance with the CPA NI Code of Practice."
The appointment is for three years with the possibility of an extension following an assessment of satisfactory performance. The post is full time with a salary of £112,542
All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Ms Durkin has declared no political activity and holds no other public appointments.
Notes to editors:
- The Office of the Chief Inspector of Criminal Justice Inspection Northern Ireland (CJINI) was established in 2003 as an executive non-departmental public body.
- CJINI has a wide ranging remit to inspect organisations and bodies under section 46 of the Justice (Northern Ireland) Act 2002, and section 45 of the Justice and Security (Northern Ireland) Act 2007 as amended by schedule 13 to the Northern Ireland Act 1998 (Devolution of Policing and Justice Functions) Order 2010.
- Ms Durkin has held a number of roles in the Northern Ireland Civil Service, most recently as a Director in the Department of Education. She has declared no political activity and holds no other public appointments.
- All media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office on 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Long confirms commitment to menu of measures to further support prison staff 25 January 2021
- Long introduces protection from Stalking Bill 18 January 2021
- Long welcomes new domestic abuse legislation 18 January 2021
- Long welcomes first hearing at Nightingale venue to support courts and tribunals 18 January 2021