Justice Minister, Naomi Long has today launched a public consultation on the use of ‘live link’ video and audio conference systems in Northern Ireland Courts and Tribunal hearings.
The consultation will seek views on the future use of live links as part of the digital improvement and modernisation of our justice system.
Minister Long said: “While live links have been used for a number of years, the Covid-19 pandemic saw their use increased as courts around the world rapidly adapted their practice and procedures and significantly accelerated the development of digital working.
In order to ensure the administration of justice throughout the pandemic in Northern Ireland, a power was created within the Coronavirus Act 2020 to allow any court or tribunal to direct participation in a hearing through the use of live links, provided they were satisfied the use of live links was ‘in the interests of justice’.
This consultation paper reflects extensive research on the experience of the use of live link provisions both in Northern Ireland and in other jurisdictions and proposes options for their future use.
This included engagement with key users of live links, which indicated benefits such as reducing the impact on vulnerable participants as well as providing more effective use of court time.
This consultation is your opportunity to help us achieve the right balance between capitalising on the benefits identified from using live links to conduct hearings remotely, while having appropriate safeguards in place to adhere to our domestic and international obligations.
I encourage you to take part and share your views on how legislation for the use of live links can improve the justice system of the future. The responses received from this consultation will be reflected in any legislation brought forward within the Northern Ireland Assembly.”
To respond to the consultation visit https://consultations.nidirect.gov.uk/doj/audio-and-video-links-live-links/ where responses can be submitted via ni-direct (Citizen Space) or downloaded.
If you require a copy of the consultation in an alternative format please contact the Department by email at LiveLinksConsultation@justice-ni.gov.uk or in writing to:-
Live Links Review Team, Criminal Justice Policy and Legislation Division, Department of Justice, Massey House, Stormont Estate, Belfast BT4 3SX
Notes to editors:
- The consultation will run from 29 July to 26 September 2022.
- For media enquiries contact the Department of Justice Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Youth Engagement Statistics for Northern Ireland 2021/22 published today 07 December 2022
- Magilligan Prison tree nursery locked into protecting Irish woodland 24 November 2022
- Adult and Youth Reoffending in Northern Ireland (Cohort 2019/20) Published Today 10 November 2022
- Conclusion of Domestic Homicide Review 10 November 2022