Justice Minister Naomi Long has appointed Siobhan Keating and Gillian Robinson to undertake a Review of Support Services for NIPS Staff Suffering from Mental Health issues.
Siobhan Keating currently works as a Consultant Psychologist in Belfast Health & Social Care Trust in the forensic learning disability and mental health in-patient secure services, while Gillian Robinson is the HR Director for the Probation Board for Northern Ireland.
Naomi Long said: “I want to support Prison staff in
every way possible, which is why I commissioned a focused review of the support mechanisms and procedures in place around mental health issues to establish if there is more we could or should be doing to help our front line staff.
“I want to thank Siobhan and Gillian for agreeing to carry out this important piece of work. Prison officers perform a unique and
important role in society and I want to ensure they have the support they need.
“I very much look forward to considering the review
team’s findings in due course.”
The review team will provide a report to the Justice
Minister by October 31, 2020.
Notes to editors:
- All media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office by emailing Press.Office@justice-ni.x.gsi.gov.uk
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Victims Payment Scheme 23 September 2020
- Death in custody at Maghaberry Prison 18 September 2020
- Long welcomes first annual report of Dame Sara Thornton, Independent Anti-Slavery Commissioner 17 September 2020
- Case Processing Time for Criminal Cases dealt with at Courts in Northern Ireland 2019/20 published today 16 September 2020