Justice Minister Naomi Long has announced a review of Care and Supervision Units in Northern Ireland’s three prisons.
Naomi Long said: “The Northern Ireland Prison Service has made huge progress in the past number of years. Their work is regularly and robustly scrutinised by Criminal Justice Inspection Northern Ireland and Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Prisons, as well as the Prisoner Ombudsman. All three prisons have been subject to an unannounced inspection in the last three years and that has included their Care and Supervision Units.
“The most recent inspection at Maghaberry contained no recommendations for the work in that Unit. Indeed inspectors stated, ‘staff managed prisoners confidently and were aware of the individual needs of the men in their care. Prisoners we spoke to were complimentary about staff and appreciated the help they received.’
“However I recognise, that due to the nature and purpose of these Units, it is important that periodic reviews are carried out into their use in our prisons. The Prison Service is open and transparent and wants to provide the highest levels of assurance to the wider community.
“Therefore in order to ensure public confidence is maintained and following a request from the Director General, I have agreed to invite the Chief Inspector of Criminal Justice Northern Ireland to carry out a thorough review of CSUs across the three prisons.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours’ service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted out of hours on 028 9037 8110.
- Appointment of members to Independent Monitoring Board 07 April 2023
- Chair and Board Members sought for Northern Ireland Police Fund 07 April 2023
- Prison Officer Richard’s rehabilitation work with young men wins Royal recognition 06 April 2023
- Experience of Crime and Perceptions of Crime and Policing and Justice: Findings from the 2021/22 Northern Ireland Safe Community Telephone Survey published today 31 March 2023