Greg McCourt has been reappointed for a further term as the Appointed Person under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 and the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (External Requests and Orders) Order 2005.
The role of the Appointed Person is to provide assurance to the Northern Ireland Assembly, Parliament and the Scottish Parliament that independent scrutiny has been applied to reports of searches and seizures carried out under the 2002 Act and the 2005 Order when prior judicial approval has not been given.
The key responsibilities of the Appointed Person in respect of Northern Ireland are:
• to produce an annual report for the Department of Justice on any use of the relevant powers without prior judicial approval which will be published and laid before the Northern Ireland Assembly;
• provide public reassurance that the powers conferred in the 2002 Act and 2005 Order are being used effectively and proportionately, or, if they are not, provide meaningful recommendations for change;
• and to provide recommendations on the development of the framework of the operation of search and seizure powers.
Notes to editors:
1. The Appointed Person is a three year, shared appointment with Scotland, England and Wales.
2. The appointment is made under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 and the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (External Requests and Orders) Order 2005.
3. The role will be remunerated at £501.52 per day, based on a time commitment of 10-15 days per year. The costs are split three ways between the Home Office, Department of Justice and the Scottish Government.
4. Mr McCourt’s reappointment is for a period of three years commencing 1 August 2022 and ending on 31 July 2025.
5. Press queries should be directed to press office via Email
6. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Youth Engagement Statistics for Northern Ireland 2021/22 published today 07 December 2022
- Magilligan Prison tree nursery locked into protecting Irish woodland 24 November 2022
- Adult and Youth Reoffending in Northern Ireland (Cohort 2019/20) Published Today 10 November 2022
- Conclusion of Domestic Homicide Review 10 November 2022