Welcoming the publication of reports by the Prisoner Ombudsman in relation to two serious adverse incidents in Maghaberry in 2018 and 2019.
Director General of the Prison Service Ronnie Armour said: “It is no exaggeration to say prison officers, along with our healthcare colleagues, save lives. The two reports by the Ombudsman highlight that but for the quick actions of our staff the two men in our care may have died. This is a testament to the professionalism and dedication of our staff.
“The Prison Service also has a responsibility to prevent the smuggling of drugs into prisons. We are committed to tackling the issue head on with every measure at our disposal.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office via email to email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 811.
- Justice Minister Naomi Long has welcomed moves to ease restrictions on visiting prisons 22 April 2021
- Long: Reckless attack could have had devastating consequences 20 April 2021
- Competition launched for Non-Executive Board members 15 April 2021
- Key messages for legal aid suppliers - March 2021 08 April 2021