The Northern Ireland Prison Service has announced the death in custody of a 22 year old prisoner at Maghaberry Prison.
The prisoner died on Thursday morning, 30 August. His next of kin have been informed.
As with standard procedure, the PSNI, Coroner and Prisoner Ombudsman have been informed.
Ronnie Armour, Director General of the Northern Ireland Prison Service, said: "On behalf of the Northern Ireland Prison Service, I would like to extend my sympathy to the family of the prisoner. My thoughts are with them at this difficult time."
Notes to editors:
- All media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office on 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Legal aid supplier update - weekly summary reports for COVID-19 Interim Payment Scheme requests 28 May 2020
- Legal aid supplier update - summary reports for COVID-19 Interim Payment Scheme requests 20 May 2020
- Long condemns Belfast murder 18 May 2020
- Long and Mallon Join Forces To Support Victims of Domestic Abuse 14 May 2020