The Northern Ireland Prison Service has announced the death in custody of a 22 year old prisoner at Maghaberry Prison.
The prisoner died on Thursday morning, 30 August. His next of kin have been informed.
As with standard procedure, the PSNI, Coroner and Prisoner Ombudsman have been informed.
Ronnie Armour, Director General of the Northern Ireland Prison Service, said: "On behalf of the Northern Ireland Prison Service, I would like to extend my sympathy to the family of the prisoner. My thoughts are with them at this difficult time."
Notes to editors:
- All media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office on 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Long condemns those behind explosive device in Lurgan 05 February 2020
- We must work together to deliver real change for victims of serious sexual assault: Long 03 February 2020
- Justice Minister welcomes Mark Hamilton as new Deputy Chief Constable 31 January 2020
- Justice Minister to bring domestic abuse legislation through Assembly 28 January 2020