The Northern Ireland Prison Service has announced the death in custody of a 22 year old prisoner at Maghaberry Prison.
The prisoner died on Thursday morning, 30 August. His next of kin have been informed.
As with standard procedure, the PSNI, Coroner and Prisoner Ombudsman have been informed.
Ronnie Armour, Director General of the Northern Ireland Prison Service, said: "On behalf of the Northern Ireland Prison Service, I would like to extend my sympathy to the family of the prisoner. My thoughts are with them at this difficult time."
Notes to editors:
- All media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office on 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Report published on impact of sex purchase offence 18 September 2019
- Continued success in the fight against organised crime groups operating in Northern Ireland 18 September 2019
- Business Crime Partnership launches its Business Crime Survey 18 September 2019
- New Independent Chair appointed to Northern Ireland Search and Rescue Group 12 September 2019