Mr Greg McCourt has been selected to the role of the “Appointed Person” under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.
The role of the Appointed Person is to provide assurance to the Northern Ireland Assembly, Parliament and the Scottish Parliament that independent scrutiny has been applied to reports of searches and seizures carried out under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 when prior judicial approval has not been given.
In an annual report, the Appointed Person will draw general conclusions on the issues arising from relevant search and seizure reports and make appropriate recommendations on the exercise of powers.
Mr McCourt, a former solicitor and District Judge in Northern Ireland, takes up the role following an interview panel process.
He has been jointly appointed by the Department of Justice, Home Office Ministers and Scottish Ministers.
Notes to editors:
1. The appointed person is a three year, shared appointment with England, Scotland and Wales
2. Mr McCourt took up appointment on 1 August 2019. His term of appointment will expire on 31 July 2022.
3. All other media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110
- 12 August 2019
- Department of Justice secures £200,000 for voluntary search and rescue groups 08 August 2019
- ‘Ending the Harm’ public awareness campaign on so called ‘paramilitary style attacks’ relaunched 05 August 2019
- Maghaberry Prison show garden wins National Trust gold award 02 August 2019