Mr Greg McCourt has been selected to the role of the “Appointed Person” under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.
The role of the Appointed Person is to provide assurance to the Northern Ireland Assembly, Parliament and the Scottish Parliament that independent scrutiny has been applied to reports of searches and seizures carried out under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 when prior judicial approval has not been given.
In an annual report, the Appointed Person will draw general conclusions on the issues arising from relevant search and seizure reports and make appropriate recommendations on the exercise of powers.
Mr McCourt, a former solicitor and District Judge in Northern Ireland, takes up the role following an interview panel process.
He has been jointly appointed by the Department of Justice, Home Office Ministers and Scottish Ministers.
Notes to editors:
1. The appointed person is a three year, shared appointment with England, Scotland and Wales
2. Mr McCourt took up appointment on 1 August 2019. His term of appointment will expire on 31 July 2022.
3. All other media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110
- Long confirms commitment to menu of measures to further support prison staff 25 January 2021
- Long introduces protection from Stalking Bill 18 January 2021
- Long welcomes new domestic abuse legislation 18 January 2021
- Long welcomes first hearing at Nightingale venue to support courts and tribunals 18 January 2021