Woodlands Juvenile Justice Centre
The rationalisation of the Juvenile Justice estate was completed in January 2007 with the opening of Woodlands Juvenile Justice Centre and the closure of the old Rathgael site.
Woodlands has been designed as a centre of national and international excellence in secure care, offering a wide range of services and support to help prevent young people from re-offending.
Woodlands provides a safe, secure and stimulating environment for up to 48 boys and girls between the ages of 10 and 17 placed in custody.
Aim of Woodlands Juvenile Justice Centre
Woodlands aims to deliver best value in custodial services for the community and for young people by:
- Providing a safe, secure and caring environment
- Tackling offending by delivering anti-offending programmes and raising victim awareness
- Addressing development, health, educational and recreational needs;
- Reducing risk to self and others
- Preparing young people for their return to families and communities with a reduced risk of offending
- Having staff who are enthusiastic and committed in their belief that they can help young people make life-changing choices
Woodlands provides six residential units, an education and learning centre, recreation facilities, medical and dental services and many more services and facilities to support its goals.
The Centre’s postal address and contact details are available on the following page: