The Rural Crime Partnership (RCP) including partners from the Department of Justice and Police Service of Northern Ireland has launched a subsidised support scheme especially for people living in rural areas. The scheme aims to help tackle the growing number of quad and trailer theft by encouraging owners to fit an electronic tracking device to proactively deter theft and assist police with recovery should an item be stolen.
To help combat the trend, RCP is subsidising the cost of having a tracking device supplied and fitted to smaller items of agricultural equipment. The offer is open for six months, subject to the review of the RCP, and represents a saving of around £150 over typical costs.
Department of Justice, Sinead Simpson, Chair of RCP said: “Having a tracking device fitted to equipment not only acts as a deterrent to criminals, but significantly increases the likelihood of a stolen item being recovered quickly”.
The PSNI’s Rural Crime Lead, Superintendent Brian Kee, said: “We know that increased vigilance and security are key elements in denying criminals an opportunity of stealing machinery or equipment. The use of a tracking device fitted can be successful in deterring criminals. Adding these devices means that equipment is easily identifiable, and recoverable if stolen."
To find out more visit the Rural Crime Partnership on A27 at Balmoral Show (16-19 May).
To find out more about keeping your farm secure and the support available, visit: www.nidirect.gov.uk/rural-crime
Notes to editors:
- The Rural Crime Partnership members include representatives from the Department of Justice (DoJ), Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI), the Ulster Farmers’ Union (UFU), Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA), NFU Mutual, Federation of Small Businesses (FSD), and the Young Farmers’ Clubs of Ulster (YFCU).
- All media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office on 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- London actor who swapped life of crime for stage role visits Maghaberry Prison 17 August 2018
- Competition launched for Chair and Board Members for Probation Board for Northern Ireland 16 August 2018
- Profile of Offenders subject to Public Protection Arrangements Northern Ireland during September 2016 published today 16 August 2018
- Publication of New Domestic and Sexual Violence and Abuse Action Plan 09 August 2018