The Department of Justice and the Department of Health have jointly published a 2019/20 action plan under the Stopping Domestic and Sexual Violence and Abuse Strategy.
The action plan will directly contribute to the delivery of the 2016 Stopping Domestic and Sexual Violence and Abuse Strategy’s vision - to have a society in Northern Ireland in which domestic and sexual violence is not tolerated in any form, effective tailored preventative and responsive services are provided, all victims are supported and perpetrators are held to account.
Cross departmental actions include:
- a mid-term review of the seven year Stopping Domestic and Sexual Violence and Abuse Strategy;
- developing an action plan to progress the agreed recommendations from the Gillen Review, when it is published;
- ensuring continued provision of a 24 hour Domestic and Sexual Abuse Helpline Service and
- considering how schools can be notified of domestic abuse incidents.
The Departments of Justice and Health will also continue to work collaboratively with interested parties to promote the “Guidance for Employers on Developing a Workplace Policy on Domestic and Sexual Violence and Abuse”, launched in November 2018.
The Department of Justice will evaluate the Domestic Violence and Abuse Disclosure Scheme; introduce Domestic Homicide Reviews; progress work, with partners, on a model for a streamlined advocacy support service; and evaluate a recent domestic abuse behavioural change programme.
The action plan is the fourth to be issued under the strategy and is based on partnership working with the Department of Education, Department for Communities and other statutory, voluntary and community sector colleagues.
Notes to editors:
- Further details on the documentation listed below can be accessed at the Department of Justice website at https://www.justice-ni.gov.uk/publications/stopping-domestic-and-sexual-violence-and-abuse-northern-ireland-seven-year-strategy-march-2016 and the Department of Health website at https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/publications/stopping-domestic-and-sexual-violence-and-abuse-northern-ireland-strategy
- The Stopping Domestic Violence and Sexual Violence Abuse Strategy,
- The year one, two, three and four action plans and
- The overview of progress against previous domestic and sexual violence action plan.
2. Implementation of actions will be the responsibility of relevant government departments, their agencies and voluntary and community sector organisations.
3. The action plan continues to progress a number of initiatives supported by previous Ministers.
4. The Guidance for Employers on Developing a Workplace Policy on Domestic and Sexual Violence and Abuse can be accessed at https://www.justice-ni.gov.uk/news/guidance-developed-employers-domestic-and-sexual-violence-and-abuse-0
5. All media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110
- Perceptions of Policing and Justice: Findings from the 2017/18 Northern Ireland Crime Survey’ published today 16 May 2019
- Chairperson and Board Members appointed to the Police Rehabilitation and Retraining Trust 16 May 2019
- Department of Justice welcomes report on serious sexual offending 09 May 2019
- Competition launched for Criminal Justice Commissioners to the Parole Commissioners for Northern Ireland 02 May 2019