The Northern Ireland Prison Service can confirm the death in custody of a 44 year old remand prisoner at Maghaberry Prison.
The prisoner died on the evening of Saturday 5 November. His next of kin have been informed.
As with standard procedure, the PSNI, Coroner and Prisoner Ombudsman have launched investigations into the death.
Acting Prison Service Director General Phil Wragg said: "I would like to extend my sympathy and that of the Northern Ireland Prison Service to the family of the prisoner who has died in Maghaberry. My thoughts are with them at this difficult time."
Notes to editors:
1. All media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office 028 90526444. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned
- Long updates MLAs on commitment to youth justice system 06 October 2022
- Justice Minister reappoints Chief Parole Commissioner 03 October 2022
- Long increases small claims court limit 03 October 2022
- Long launches public consultation on the minimum age of criminal responsibility 03 October 2022