The Northern Ireland Prison Service can confirm the death in custody of a 63 year old prisoner from Maghaberry Prison.
The prisoner died on Monday morning, 25 February. His next of kin have been informed.
As with standard procedure, the PSNI and Prisoner Ombudsman have been informed.
Ronnie Armour, Head of the Northern Ireland Prison Service said: "I would like to extend my sympathy to the family of the prisoner. My thoughts are with them at this difficult time."
Notes to editors:
- For all media queries, please contact the DOJ Press Office on 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer 028 9037 8110.
- New domestic abuse offence to be introduced in Northern Ireland 16 July 2019
- Perceptions of the Youth Justice Agency: Findings from the 2016/17 and 2017/18 Northern Ireland Crime Surveys, 2019 ’ published today 05 July 2019
- Perceptions of the Youth Justice Agency 05 July 2019
- First Time Entrants to the Justice System in Northern Ireland 2017/18’ published today 26 June 2019