The Northern Ireland Prison Service can confirm the death in custody of a 63 year old prisoner from Maghaberry Prison.
The prisoner died on Monday morning, 25 February. His next of kin have been informed.
As with standard procedure, the PSNI and Prisoner Ombudsman have been informed.
Ronnie Armour, Head of the Northern Ireland Prison Service said: "I would like to extend my sympathy to the family of the prisoner. My thoughts are with them at this difficult time."
Notes to editors:
- For all media queries, please contact the DOJ Press Office on 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer 028 9037 8110.
- 2019/20 pay award to PSNI officers at federated and superintending ranks 20 February 2020
- Long condemns those behind explosive device in Lurgan 05 February 2020
- We must work together to deliver real change for victims of serious sexual assault: Long 03 February 2020
- Justice Minister welcomes Mark Hamilton as new Deputy Chief Constable 31 January 2020