The Northern Ireland Prison Service can confirm the death in custody of a 63 year old prisoner from Maghaberry Prison.
The prisoner died on Monday morning, 25 February. His next of kin have been informed.
As with standard procedure, the PSNI and Prisoner Ombudsman have been informed.
Ronnie Armour, Head of the Northern Ireland Prison Service said: "I would like to extend my sympathy to the family of the prisoner. My thoughts are with them at this difficult time."
Notes to editors:
- For all media queries, please contact the DOJ Press Office on 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer 028 9037 8110.
- Report published on purposeful activity in Separated Prisoner Accomodation 20 March 2019
- Perceptions of Paramilitarism in Northern Ireland Published Today 13 March 2019
- New Trustee Appointed to the Royal Ulster Constabulary George Cross (RUC GC) Foundation 13 March 2019
- Maghaberry prisoner death 09 March 2019