The Northern Ireland Prison Service can confirm the death in custody of a 63 year old prisoner from Maghaberry Prison.
The prisoner died on Monday morning, 25 February. His next of kin have been informed.
As with standard procedure, the PSNI and Prisoner Ombudsman have been informed.
Ronnie Armour, Head of the Northern Ireland Prison Service said: "I would like to extend my sympathy to the family of the prisoner. My thoughts are with them at this difficult time."
Notes to editors:
- For all media queries, please contact the DOJ Press Office on 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer 028 9037 8110.
- Perceptions of Policing and Justice: Findings from the 2017/18 Northern Ireland Crime Survey’ published today 16 May 2019
- Chairperson and Board Members appointed to the Police Rehabilitation and Retraining Trust 16 May 2019
- Department of Justice welcomes report on serious sexual offending 09 May 2019
- Competition launched for Criminal Justice Commissioners to the Parole Commissioners for Northern Ireland 02 May 2019