The Northern Ireland Prison Service can confirm the death in custody of a 63 year old prisoner from Maghaberry Prison.
The prisoner died on Monday morning, 25 February. His next of kin have been informed.
As with standard procedure, the PSNI and Prisoner Ombudsman have been informed.
Ronnie Armour, Head of the Northern Ireland Prison Service said: "I would like to extend my sympathy to the family of the prisoner. My thoughts are with them at this difficult time."
Notes to editors:
- For all media queries, please contact the DOJ Press Office on 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer 028 9037 8110.
- Care and Justice Campus consultation report published 16 June 2021
- New online Probate Portal launched 14 June 2021
- Illegal money lending used as a means to control and exploit vulnerable people 14 June 2021
- Long encourages applications on anniversary of the removal of the Same Household Rule 09 June 2021