The Northern Ireland Prison Service can confirm the death in custody of a 63 year old prisoner from Maghaberry Prison.
The prisoner died on Monday morning, 25 February. His next of kin have been informed.
As with standard procedure, the PSNI and Prisoner Ombudsman have been informed.
Ronnie Armour, Head of the Northern Ireland Prison Service said: "I would like to extend my sympathy to the family of the prisoner. My thoughts are with them at this difficult time."
Notes to editors:
- For all media queries, please contact the DOJ Press Office on 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer 028 9037 8110.
- Long confirms commitment to menu of measures to further support prison staff 25 January 2021
- Long introduces protection from Stalking Bill 18 January 2021
- Long welcomes new domestic abuse legislation 18 January 2021
- Long welcomes first hearing at Nightingale venue to support courts and tribunals 18 January 2021