Naomi Long said: “I regret that this case ever had to reach the courts, but welcome the judgement and am hopeful that the Executive can now move forward together to progress the delivery of a scheme to support those with serious physical and psychological injuries as a result of the Troubles.
“I have consistently said that I was content for my department to be designated to allow people to apply for the scheme and avoid any further delay and I welcome the announcement today that the designation will proceed.
“Preliminary work has already begun within my department to examine the practical details of implementation of the scheme and I am committed to our taking the scheme forward as quickly as possible.
“There will be a number of steps which need to be gone through before the scheme can open for applications, and before payments can commence: however, today’s developments mean work on the new scheme can be advanced in earnest. My officials will keep interested parties informed at each stage and of expected timelines as the work develops.
“Notwithstanding the judgement, it is clear that there remains a lack of political agreement over aspects of the scheme and, in particular, there is an urgent need to resolve the source of funding for the payments. I am absolutely clear that the UK Government has a critical role to play in this regard and am committed to working with the Secretary of State, Treasury and Executive Colleagues to ensure that the necessary funding is in place to support delivery of this important scheme for victims.”
Notes to editors:
1. Media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office, 028 9052 6444.
2. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours’ service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted out of hours on 028 9037 8110.
- Competition launched for Non-Executive Board members 15 April 2021
- LSA end of financial year 2020-2021 - payment key messages for legal suppliers 08 April 2021
- Key messages for legal aid suppliers - March 2021 08 April 2021
- Long: Violence must stop before lives are lost 06 April 2021