Justice Minister Naomi Long has welcomed today’s announcement by Mr Justice McAlinden of his intention to open the Troubles Permanent Disablement Payment Scheme for applications from 30 June 2021.
Naomi Long said: “I have said from the outset, when I agreed that my department could be designated to administer the scheme, that I shared the frustration of those who have been waiting for delivery of this important scheme and that we would do everything in our power to move things forward.
“Much progress has been made since then and I am grateful to the President and members of the Victims’ Payments Board for their commitment to make the scheme operational.
“Victims and survivors of the Troubles have waited a long time for this scheme and today’s announcement is an important milestone on what has been a long and painful journey for many.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow the department on Twitter @Justice_NI(external link opens in a new window / tab)
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted
- Terms extended for current Probation Board for Northern Ireland Chair and Board members 26 July 2021
- Extension to terms of three Northern Ireland Policing Board independent board members 14 July 2021
- Key messages for legal aid suppliers - June 2021 14 July 2021
- Justice Minister Appoints Deputy Chair of the Probation Board 09 July 2021