Justice Minister Naomi Long has launched a consultation on a stocktake of policing oversight and accountability; along with recommendations made by the Police Ombudsman in her Five Year Review.
The stocktake looks at the arrangements for policing oversight and accountability in NI and concludes that the current arrangements remain robust and fit for purpose. It also looks at the interfaces between the various oversight bodies and sets out proposals on how the arrangements could be further strengthened.
Alongside the stocktake, the Minister has also received recommendations from the Police Ombudsman on proposed changes to the powers of her Office. The Minister is consulting on the recommendations to inform decisions on the measures to be taken forward.
Justice Minister Naomi Long said: “In Northern Ireland, a number of bodies have a role in ensuring oversight and accountability of policing oversight and accountability, which is a fundamental part of ensuring and promoting public confidence in policing. When I became Justice Minister, I considered it timely, and indeed good practice, to take stock of our current policing oversight arrangements to see if there were any areas in need of improvement or reform. I have also received recommendations from the Police Ombudsman for reform of her powers and I am taking the opportunity to consult on her Five Year Review report alongside the stocktake.
“My Department has worked with the various oversight bodies in carrying out this stocktake. We are putting forward a range of proposals for consultation and I would encourage those with an interest in policing oversight to engage in this process.”
The stocktake document is available via at the consultation section of website. Responses to the consultation can be made online via https://consultations.nidirect.gov.uk/doj/policing-oversight-stocktake-and-oponi-review
The consultation runs for 10 weeks from Tuesday 21 December 2021 to Tuesday 1 March 2022.
Notes to editors:
1. Responses to the consultation can be submitted online via https://consultations.nidirect.gov.uk/doj/policing-oversight-stocktake-and-oponi-review The review document can be made available in alternative formats upon request. Any queries relating to the review can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
2.For all media queries, please contact the Press Office via email: email@example.com
3.The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Perceptions of Paramilitarism in Northern Ireland published today 19 May 2022
- New Appointments to the Independent Monitoring Board 22 April 2022
- Key messages for legal aid suppliers - March 2022 13 April 2022
- Findings from the 2020/21 Northern Ireland Safe Community Telephone Survey published today 31 March 2022