Justice Minister Naomi Long has launched a consultation on a review of the status and governance of the Probation Board for Northern Ireland (PBNI).
The review considered options for the future status of PBNI and proposes that it should continue to be an independent arm’s-length body. The review also considered the size of PBNI’s Board and it is proposed that the Board should be reduced in size but continue to be made up of independent members appointed by the Justice Minister. In addition, the review proposes that PBNI should be renamed as Probation Northern Ireland.
Justice Minister Naomi Long said: “PBNI continues to play an important role in the justice system and delivery of our Programme for Government outcomes. My Department has worked with PBNI in carrying out this review. We are putting forward a range of proposals for consultation and I would encourage those with an interest in the work of PBNI to engage in this process.”
PBNI is an arm’s-length body of the Department of Justice and plays a key role in preparing reports for the courts and others, supervising people who have offended, delivering programmes to support behavioural change and delivering a Victim Information Scheme.
The review document is available at the consultation section of this website. Responses to the consultation can be made online via https://consultations.nidirect.gov.uk/doj/review-of-pbni-status-and-governance
The consultation runs for 10 weeks from Wednesday 8 December 2021 to Wednesday 16 February 2022.
Notes to editors:
1. Responses to the consultation can be submitted online via https://consultations.nidirect.gov.uk/doj/review-of-pbni-status-and-governance. The review document can be made available in alternative formats upon request. Any queries relating to the review can be directed to PBNI.Review@justice-ni.gov.uk
2.For all media queries, please contact the Press Office via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
3.The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Perceptions of Paramilitarism in Northern Ireland published today 19 May 2022
- New Appointments to the Independent Monitoring Board 22 April 2022
- Key messages for legal aid suppliers - March 2022 13 April 2022
- Findings from the 2020/21 Northern Ireland Safe Community Telephone Survey published today 31 March 2022