Justice Minister Naomi Long has today launched a consultation on proposals to provide the arrangements for funding mediation in civil cases where legal aid has been granted.
Legal aid has been available for mediation in family civil disputes for some time, and has now been extended to include other civil case types.
Justice Minister Naomi Long said: “We have been working with the Law Society, Bar and other providers of mediation services to develop an approach to the authorisation of mediation in legally aided cases and the fees payable and have developed a set of proposals on which to consult. I mentioned this work in my statement of 23 March to the Assembly on civil and family justice reform.
I am grateful to key stakeholders who have helpfully engaged with my officials to inform this consultation.”
The consultation proposes the protocols and arrangements for funding mediation in legally aided cases, and considers:
- the remuneration and the hours to be allowed under a General Authority without prior approval;
- controls as to when the General Authority may be deployed;
- protocols as to when the legal representative for the legally aided person should apply for prior authority for mediation; and
- the accreditation of the service providers.
Notes to editors:
- The consultation will run from 4 May 2021 to 29 June 2021.
- The consultation and further information is available at the consultation section of this website.
- For enquiries relating to the consultation please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For all media queries please contact Press Office via email: email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Care and Justice Campus consultation report published 16 June 2021
- New online Probate Portal launched 14 June 2021
- Illegal money lending used as a means to control and exploit vulnerable people 14 June 2021
- Long encourages applications on anniversary of the removal of the Same Household Rule 09 June 2021