Justice Minister Naomi Long has praised those involved in the investigation that today led to the seizure of drugs with an estimated street value of £10-12 million.
Naomi Long said: “Today’s seizure of around 600 kilos of herbal cannabis sends a very clear message to those intent on destroying our communities that we are committed to removing these harmful substances from our streets.
“Drugs bring nothing but misery and those who line their pockets off the back of that misery simply do not care about the destruction and harm they are causing to young and vulnerable people within their own communities.
“Today’s joint operation between the National Crime Agency and the PSNI not only represents the largest drug seizure ever made here by the NCA but it also represents a huge disruption to the profiteering gangs who would seek to distribute drugs throughout our communities.
“The NCA-led investigation into drug supply is continuing and I want to thank everyone who has worked so hard and so diligently to achieve this result. That investigation goes on and by working together in this way, we will continue to pursue those involved in drug dealing and bring them before the courts.
“I would urge anyone with information relating to drugs or criminal behaviour to pass it to the PSNI on the 101 number or to the Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111.”
Notes to editors:
All media enquiries for the Department of Justice Press Office should be directed via email at email@example.com
2. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Weekly summary for COVID-19 Interim Payment Scheme requests by legal aid suppliers - week ending 26 June 2020 03 July 2020
- Justice Minister Naomi Long has welcomed moves to ease restrictions on visiting prisons 03 July 2020
- Long announces consultation on biometric proposals 03 July 2020
- Ministers publish domestic and sexual abuse action plan and progress report 03 July 2020