Justice Minister Naomi Long has welcomed the appointment of Mark Hamilton as new Deputy Chief Constable of the PSNI.
Naomi Long said: “I offer my congratulations to Mark Hamilton on his appointment as Deputy Chief Constable. Mark brings a wealth of experience to the role as well as an understanding of policing in Northern Ireland and the challenges facing the PSNI.
“This is a significant time for the PSNI with the two top posts filled within a matter of months. I look forward to working with the Chief Constable, Deputy Chief Constable and their senior team to continue to build a safe, fair and just community where we respect the law and each other.
“I want to thank Stephen Martin for his service in acting as Temporary Deputy Chief Constable.”
The Minister was briefed by the Board on the appointment process and subsequently approved the Board’s recommended candidate, in line with her responsibility to approve the appointment of senior officers.
Naomi Long added: “In light of concerns raised by a former panel member, I sought assurances from the Board on the robustness and integrity of the appointment process. I concluded that the issues raised did not undermine the overall integrity of the process.”
Notes to editors:
1. Under Section 35 of the Police (Northern Ireland) Act 2000 (as amended) the Justice Minister is responsible for approving the Policing Board’s appointment of senior officers, including the Deputy Chief Constable.
2. The Justice Minister approved the Policing Board’s candidate following discussion with the Policing Board.
3. All media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office, 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on number 028 9037 8110.
- Long seeks views on new organised crime offences and a draft organised crime strategy for Northern Ireland 10 July 2020
- First Time Entrants to the Justice System in Northern Ireland 2018/19 published today 10 July 2020
- Key messages for legal aid suppliers - June 2020 09 July 2020
- Weekly summary for COVID-19 Interim Payment Scheme requests by legal aid suppliers - week ending 3 July 2020 09 July 2020