Justice Minister Naomi Long has welcomed the appointment of Mark Hamilton as new Deputy Chief Constable of the PSNI.
Naomi Long said: “I offer my congratulations to Mark Hamilton on his appointment as Deputy Chief Constable. Mark brings a wealth of experience to the role as well as an understanding of policing in Northern Ireland and the challenges facing the PSNI.
“This is a significant time for the PSNI with the two top posts filled within a matter of months. I look forward to working with the Chief Constable, Deputy Chief Constable and their senior team to continue to build a safe, fair and just community where we respect the law and each other.
“I want to thank Stephen Martin for his service in acting as Temporary Deputy Chief Constable.”
The Minister was briefed by the Board on the appointment process and subsequently approved the Board’s recommended candidate, in line with her responsibility to approve the appointment of senior officers.
Naomi Long added: “In light of concerns raised by a former panel member, I sought assurances from the Board on the robustness and integrity of the appointment process. I concluded that the issues raised did not undermine the overall integrity of the process.”
Notes to editors:
1. Under Section 35 of the Police (Northern Ireland) Act 2000 (as amended) the Justice Minister is responsible for approving the Policing Board’s appointment of senior officers, including the Deputy Chief Constable.
2. The Justice Minister approved the Policing Board’s candidate following discussion with the Policing Board.
3. All media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office, 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on number 028 9037 8110.
- Board Member Appointed to the Police Rehabilitation and Retraining Trust 28 February 2020
- Justice Minister reinforces ‘no place for hate’ message 28 February 2020
- Perceptions of Crime: Findings from the 2018/19 Northern Ireland Safe Community Survey’ published today 27 February 2020
- Justice Minister enlists Frampton and Barnes support for prison initiative 27 February 2020