Justice Minister Claire Sugden today visited the Community Rescue Service at Coleraine Marina.
The Community Rescue Service is a regional voluntary organisation with units across Northern Ireland who responds to local, area, regional and national emergencies.
During her visit, the Minister had the opportunity to meet local volunteers and board the Service’s inland water search and rescue boat.
The Minister paid tribute to the volunteers who provide 24/7 land and inland water search and rescue services. She said: “The volunteers of the Community Rescue Service dedicate their time and efforts to protecting others. Their commitment is very commendable and the support they provide to emergency services is invaluable.
I welcome the opportunity to meet these dedicated volunteers today and learn about the different types of work they do.”
The Minister also met with staff at the Community Rescue Service’s charity shop as part of a series of engagements in the area, which included a visit to Coleraine PSNI Station to meet with the Neighbourhood Policing Team, and she also met a local resident benefitting from the installation of call blocking equipment provided by Causeway Coast and Glens Policing and Community Safety Partnership (PCSP).
Notes to editors:
1. The Department of Justice assumed policy responsibility for land and inland water search and rescue (SAR) in Northern Ireland in 2011. A Northern Ireland Search and Rescue Policy group and Practitioners subgroup were set up.
2. Community Rescue Service is a member of the Northern Ireland Search and Rescue Practitioners Group, which is co-ordinated by the Department of Justice. Further information can be found on the work of Community Rescue Service can be found on their Community Rescue website
3. All media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office on 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 0769 971 5440 and your call will be returned.
- Maghaberry prison ‘stitch-in-time’ gang crocheting hats for premature babies 01 February 2023
- Department of Justice is seeking lay advisers for public protection arrangements 10 January 2023
- Have your say on tackling Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking 06 January 2023
- Imprisoned dads at Maghaberry have special Christmas gift for children 18 December 2022