Following a request from the Northern Ireland Policing Board, the Justice Minister has asked Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services (HMICFRS) to undertake a thematic inspection into the PSNI handling of the funeral of Mr Bobby Storey.
The inspection will:
- assess whether the approach taken by the PSNI to the events surrounding the funeral of Mr Bobby Storey was within the parameters of national policing standards, in the context of COVID-19 health protection regulations; and
- offer relevant learning to assist in policing of COVID restrictions through the ‘four Es’ approach in coming months.
HMICFRS has been asked to complete the inspection by no later than 14 May.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries contact the Department of Justice Press Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted out of hours on 028 9037 8110.
- Justice Minister Naomi Long has welcomed moves to ease restrictions on visiting prisons 22 April 2021
- Long: Reckless attack could have had devastating consequences 20 April 2021
- Competition launched for Non-Executive Board members 15 April 2021
- LSA end of financial year 2020-2021 - payment key messages for legal suppliers 08 April 2021