The Head of the Northern Ireland Prison Service, Ronnie Armour has paid tribute to the Governor of Maghaberry Prison, Stephen Davis who has passed away after a short illness.
Ronnie Armour said: “Over the past few months, Stephen Davis has battled his illness with great courage and determination and his untimely death has been felt across the Prison Service.
“The Northern Ireland Prison Service was in Stephen Davis’s DNA. He cared passionately about the organisation, his colleagues and those for who he was responsible. He was immensely proud to be Governor of Maghaberry and he served the entire community in Northern Ireland with professionalism and dedication throughout his career. Our Service is the poorer for his passing but the richer for his part in it.
“Of course Stephen was first and foremost a husband, father and a son. My thoughts and the thoughts of the entire Prison Service are with his wife, son and wider family circle at this very sad time.”
Notes to editors:
- Stephen Davis joined the Prison Service as an Assistant Governor on 9 September 1985.
- His first posting was to Belfast Prison (Crumlin Road) and he also worked in Magilligan, Maghaberry, Maze and Hydebank Wood.
- He was one of a very small number of people who served as Governing Governor of the three remaining establishments (Hydebank, Magilligan and Maghaberry).
- Stephen also served as Acting Director of Operations at Prisons Headquarters.
- All media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Recruitment competition launched for Royal Ulster Constabulary George Cross Foundation Chairperson 21 June 2018
- Research and Statistical Bulletin 16/2018 Court Prosecutions, Convictions and Out of Court Disposals Statistics for Northern Ireland, 2017 19 June 2018
- Youth Justice Agency volunteer awards 15 June 2018
- 1,000 reasons for families to celebrate at Magilligan Prison 07 June 2018