Justice Minister Naomi Long has extended the appointments of three current independent board members of the Northern Ireland Policing Board by a further period of four months.
Tom Frawley, Doug Garrett and Colm McKenna took up appointment on 1 December 2018 on a three-year term until 30 November 2021. Their terms were extended by a period of eight months last year. This further extension will mean that they will continue to serve as independent board members until 30 November 2022.
The independent board member appointments are part-time and they attract a fixed remuneration of £15,000 per annum for a minimum commitment of four days per month, including evening or weekend events.
Notes to editors:
1. The Northern Ireland Policing Board takes its powers from the Police (Northern Ireland) Act 2000 as amended by the Police (Northern Ireland) Act 2003 and has 19 members in total: 10 political; and 9 independent members, including a Chair and a Vice Chair appointed by the Board from among the independent members. Remuneration for the Chair is £50,000 per annum and £30,000 per annum for the Vice Chair. On 2 April 2020, Members elected Doug Garrett as Chair of the Board with the Vice Chair position being filled by Tom Frawley.
2. Six independent board members were also appointed on 1 April 2020.
3. More information can be found on the Policing Board website
4. Biographies of each of the appointees can be found on the Policing Board website
5. The procedure for these appointments is compliant with the Commissioner for Public Appointments Northern Ireland Code of Practice. The appointments are made by the Minister of Justice under Part III of Schedule I to the Police (Northern Ireland) Act 2000;
6. For media enquiries contact the Department of Justice Press Office at email@example.com
7. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted out of hours on 028 9037 8110.
- Relocation of Dungannon Court business 27 February 2024
- Justice Minister launches Victim and Witness Charters campaign 25 February 2024
- Justice Minister Naomi Long is extending the Sexual Offences Legal Advisers pilot scheme until March 2025. 15 February 2024
- Consultation on criminal assets recovery Codes of Practice launched 15 February 2024