The Department of Justice has thanked Sir John Gillen for completing his review of arrangements to deliver justice in serious sexual offence cases.
Speaking after the Gillen Review Report was formally presented to the Criminal Justice Board, DoJ Permanent Secretary and Board Chairman Peter May, said: “This is an important and ground-breaking report and I commend Sir John for the energy and thought he has put into it.
“I welcome the care and attention to detail which Sir John has applied to this complex and sensitive field and in particular his engagement with a wide range of victims and other groups in developing his recommendations.
“Given the wide-ranging nature of this important report, which covers a broad span of justice issues, the Department and other agencies to which the recommendations apply, will want to take time to carefully study it before formally responding.”
Peter May went on to announce the establishment of a new group which will guide and set the strategic direction of the Department’s work on sexual violence.
He said: “Aspects of sexual violence impact right across the justice system. To ensure a coherent, co-ordinated approach to dealing with sexual violence, the Department has established a Sexual Violence Reduction Group. A key task of the group will be to oversee the implementation of the Gillen Review.”
Notes to editors:
- The Gillen Report was commissioned by the Criminal Justice Board. The Criminal Justice Board provides oversight of the Criminal Justice System in Northern Ireland. The Board is currently chaired by the Permanent Secretary of the Department of Justice and comprises the Lord Chief Justice, the Chief Constable, the Director of Public Prosecutions, and senior officials from the Department of Justice.
- The Gillen Report’s recommendations can be viewed on the Department of Justice website at https://www.justice-ni.gov.uk/publications/gillen-review-recommendations and the report in full can be viewed here https://www.justice-ni.gov.uk/publications/gillen-review-report-law-and-procedures-serious-sexual-offences-ni
- Membership of the Sexual Violence Reduction Group includes senior officials from the Department of Justice, Northern Ireland Prison Service, Probation Board NI, NI Courts and Tribunals Service, Office of the Lord Chief Justice, PSNI and Public Prosecution Service.
- All media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours, please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Magilligan prisoners and staff become guide runners for partially sighted in prison Parkrun 27 March 2023
- Prison Service Director General responds to Ombudsman Report 22 March 2023
- Prison Service Director General comments on Ombudsman Report 14 March 2023
- New technology a ‘game changer’ against illegal contraband in prisons 01 March 2023