The Northern Ireland Prison Service can confirm the death in custody of a 47-year-old prisoner at Maghaberry Prison. The death is not being treated as Covid related.
The prisoner died on Friday morning, 18th September. His next of kin have been informed.
As with standard procedure, the PSNI, Coroner and Prisoner Ombudsman have launched investigations into the death.
Ronnie Armour, Director General of the Northern Ireland Prison Service, said: "I would like to extend my sympathy, and that of the Northern Ireland Prison Service, to the family of the prisoner. My thoughts are with them at this difficult time."
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office via email at: email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours’ service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted out of hours on 028 9037 8110.
- Launch of joint DoH/DoJ consultation on ‘The establishment of a regional Care and Justice Campus for children and young people’ 21 October 2020
- Measures to strengthen laws protecting children from sexual exploitation to be taken forward 20 October 2020
- Department of Justice consults on tackling modern slavery 16 October 2020
- Prison mums Zoom in for bedtime stories 16 October 2020