The Northern Ireland Prison Service can confirm the death in custody of a 47-year-old prisoner at Maghaberry Prison. The death is not being treated as Covid related.
The prisoner died on Friday morning, 18th September. His next of kin have been informed.
As with standard procedure, the PSNI, Coroner and Prisoner Ombudsman have launched investigations into the death.
Ronnie Armour, Director General of the Northern Ireland Prison Service, said: "I would like to extend my sympathy, and that of the Northern Ireland Prison Service, to the family of the prisoner. My thoughts are with them at this difficult time."
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours’ service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted out of hours on 028 9037 8110.
- Competition launched for Non-Executive Board members 15 April 2021
- LSA end of financial year 2020-2021 - payment key messages for legal suppliers 08 April 2021
- Key messages for legal aid suppliers - March 2021 08 April 2021
- Long: Violence must stop before lives are lost 06 April 2021