Justice Minister Claire Sugden MLA today announced the appointment of Mark Orr as Presiding Member to the Civil Legal Services Appeal Panels.
Presiding Members are remunerated £350 per sitting to include preparation required and attendance at each sitting of the Appeal Panel.
The procedure for this appointment was not regulated by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland; however, insofar as was possible, the principles of the Code of Practice for Ministerial Public Appointments in Northern Ireland were followed.
Notes to editors:
- The Legal Services Agency Northern Ireland is empowered to grant or refuse Civil Legal Services and there is a right of appeal against those decisions. On 1 April 2015 a new, independent appeals mechanism was established and the Department appointed a pool of suitably qualified persons, from a range of professional backgrounds, from which Appeal Panels were drawn.
- This appointment is made by the Minister for Justice. Appointees to the role of Presiding Member must be a solicitor or barrister of a minimum of seven years standing.
- Mr Orr lives in Co Down and he is one of only three Queens Counsel in Northern Ireland who is also a Senior Counsel in the Republic of Ireland. He was called to the Bar in 1980 and his experience includes Chancery, Commercial and judicial review. Mr Orr’s previous appointments include Chairman of the Legal Aid Appeal Committee, Director of Northern Ireland Memorial Fund and Member of Insolvency Rules Committee. He is currently the Chair of the Board of Governors of Banbridge Academy.
- All media enquiries to DOJ Press Office on 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number: 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- Long updates MLAs on commitment to youth justice system 06 October 2022
- Apply for Halloween firework licences in good time – Justice Minister 03 October 2022
- Justice Minister reappoints Chief Parole Commissioner 03 October 2022
- Long increases small claims court limit 03 October 2022