The Prison Service has granted 79 prisoners Christmas Home Leave. Their periods of temporary release have been granted for varying periods from 22 December 2017 until 2 January 2018. Conditions have been placed on all successful applicants.
35 prisoners are being released from Magilligan Prison. 35 prisoners will be released from Maghaberry Prison, 19 of which are life or indeterminate sentence prisoners.
Six young men and three women are being released from Hydebank Wood College.
All prisoners granted Christmas Home Leave have been the subject of a satisfactory risk assessment and have either successfully completed a home leave programme or undergone periods of unaccompanied testing in the community.
The Prison Service will not be providing information in relation to individual prisoners.
Notes to editors:
1. There may be minor variations in the final number released dependent upon individual circumstances.
2. Home Leave for prisoners at Christmas is granted in accordance with the Christmas Home Leave Scheme.
3. To be eligible to apply for Christmas Home Leave, Life Sentence Prisoners/Indeterminate Custodial Sentence Prisoners must be within three years of tariff expiry, have had a Parole Commissioners recommendation for pre-release testing in the community and have successfully completed a period of overnight unaccompanied pre-release testing.
4. All Extended Custodial Sentence Prisoners must have served at least 50% of their custodial period, have a Parole Commissioners recommendation for pre-release testing in the community or have reached their Home Leave Eligibility Date (HLED) and have successfully completed a period of overnight unaccompanied pre-release testing or overnight unescorted home leave.
5. All other sentenced prisoners must have been sentenced on or before 31 October 2017, have reached their HLED and have successfully completed an overnight period of unescorted home leave within their current custodial period.
6. Recalled prisoners must have a Parole Commissioners recommendation for pre-release testing in the community and have successfully completed a period of overnight unaccompanied pre-release testing.
7. Remand prisoners are not eligible for Christmas Home Leave.
8. At unlock this morning, 1,417 prisoners were being held in prisons in Northern Ireland.
9. Media enquiries to the Prison Service Press Office on 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- Naomi Long pays tribute to retiring PSNI Deputy Chief Constable 20 January 2020
- Northern Ireland Police Fund Chairperson and Board members recruitment competition launched 16 January 2020
- HRH The Princess Royal visits HMP Maghaberry 16 January 2020
- Violence has no place in our society: Long 14 January 2020