The 2017/18 pay award for police officers has been agreed by the Department of Justice and approved by the Department of Finance.
The award, which will consist of a one per cent consolidated pay increase, with an additional one per cent non-consolidated payment, mirrors that given to officers in England and Wales.
Permanent Secretary at the Department of Justice, Nick Perry said: “As budgets have reduced across the public service, the Department’s priority has been to protect front-line services, including policing, as far as possible. As is the case elsewhere, the Chief Constable and his senior team are responding to the changing nature of policing and there is no doubt this introduces fresh challenges both at organisational level and for individual officers. For this reason, I concur with the independent Police Remuneration Review Body’s conclusion that major differences in the pay systems between officers of the PSNI and their equivalent ranks in England and Wales could not currently be justified.”
Notes to editors:
- The increase for Federated and Superintending Ranks is consistent with the approach agreed by the Home Office and the Chief Secretary to the Treasury in response to the recommendations of the Police Remuneration Review Body’s (PRRB) report for this cadre of officers across 44 forces, including the PSNI.
- The non-consolidated award will be paid in monthly instalments alongside normal salary, rather than as a one-off lump sum. This element of the pay will cease on 31 August 2018.
- The 1% non-consolidated award is calculated using the 2016/17 pay rates (before the consolidated increase is applied).
- The non-consolidated award is treated as an allowance, paid in addition to basic salary. It is non-pensionable and is not included in the calculations for other payments that are based on basic salary, such as overtime.
- All media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press office on 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- Naomi Long pays tribute to retiring PSNI Deputy Chief Constable 20 January 2020
- HRH The Princess Royal visits HMP Maghaberry 16 January 2020
- Northern Ireland Police Fund Chairperson and Board members recruitment competition launched 16 January 2020
- Violence has no place in our society: Long 14 January 2020