Prison Service Director General Beverley Wall has welcomed the publication of a follow up report by the Chief Inspector of Criminal Justice on Care and Supervision Units within Northern Ireland prisons.
The Chief Inspector has praised the Prison Service and its partners for the pace shown in addressing recommendations and for the innovation demonstrated in finding solutions to concerns raised in the previous report.
Beverley Wall said, “This is an important report and I welcome the findings by the Chief Inspector that ‘significant progress’ has been made against the strategic and operational recommendations made in the previous report.”
“Care and Supervision Units play an important role in supporting extremely vulnerable prisoners and also those who exhibit behaviours that may cause themselves or others harm.”
“Following the previous report a plan was developed and implemented to address the issues highlighted by the Inspection team. I want to thank our staff for the prompt action they took and our partners for assisting us in this work. I also want to acknowledge the commitment, care and compassion shown by Prison Service staff to people in prison, many of whom have serious mental health and addiction issues.”
“I am not complacent. We must and will continue to develop services that meet the current and emerging needs of our prisoners.”
Notes to editors:
1. Media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office via Email
2. Follow the department on Twitter @Justice_NI(external link opens in a new window / tab)
3. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110
- Departments of Justice and Communities launch anti-social behaviour consultation 28 November 2023
- Major milestone for sexual offences legislation 27 November 2023
- Cyber Crime, Modern Slavery and Sentencing: Findings from the 2021/22 NI Safe Community Telephone Survey published today 24 November 2023
- Permanent Secretary visits Lough Neagh Rescue 24 November 2023