The Department of Justice has launched a recruitment competition for six independent members of the Northern Ireland Policing Board.
The Policing Board, which includes ten political members and nine independent members, is responsible for ensuring the provision of an effective, efficient, impartial and accountable police service in Northern Ireland, and for holding the Chief Constable to account for the exercise of his functions and those of the police.
Launching the competition, the Department’s Permanent Secretary, Peter May said, “The work of the Policing Board is central to the policing architecture in Northern Ireland and those appointed will have a demanding role to play, dealing with many complex issues, during their tenure.
“Since the Board’s inception in 2001, support for policing from all sections of the community has increased and it is important to build on this achievement. The independent members will be crucial to maintaining and building on that level of support. We are committed to ensuring the Board is able to perform its responsibilities to the full and is capable of securing widespread public confidence.
“Having an effective and efficient Board which holds the PSNI to account is vital. The Board also has a significant role in overseeing the work of the National Crime Agency in Northern Ireland. I would encourage anyone who has an interest in policing and who believes that they can make a positive contribution to apply.”
The Policing Board is still in transition to a system of staggered appointments; three independent members will be appointed for three years and three for four years.
The deadline for receipt of applications is 12:00 GMT on Friday, 22 November 2019.
Notes to editors:
1. Candidate information packs and applications forms are available at: https://www.justice-ni.gov.uk/publications/recruitment-competition-ni-policing-board-indpendent-members.Copies are also available as follows:
- Telephone: 028 905 26196 or 028 905 26196
- By writing to:
NIPB Independent Members 2019
Department of Justice
Policing Policy and Strategy Division
Block A, Castle Buildings
2. A short film by the Policing Board about the role of an Independent Board Member can be viewed at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIEWRrec6v4&feature=youtu.be
3. All media enquiries should be directed to the Department of Justice Press Office, 028 9052 6444. Out of hours contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Naomi Long pays tribute to retiring PSNI Deputy Chief Constable 20 January 2020
- HRH The Princess Royal visits HMP Maghaberry 16 January 2020
- Northern Ireland Police Fund Chairperson and Board members recruitment competition launched 16 January 2020
- Violence has no place in our society: Long 14 January 2020